From biographies to George Washington bobbleheads, the Exhibition Shoppe for Discover the Real George Washington: New Views From Mount Vernon overflows with items ranging from serious to silly. Located at the N.C. Museum of History in Raleigh, where the traveling exhibition runs through Friday, Jan. 21, the shop’s shelves are bursting with historical toys and games, patriotic merchandise, reproductions of Martha Washington’s china, specialty foods and more. Find plenty of gifts for friends and family.
The Exhibition Shoppe, beautifully decorated with a colonial flair, is the final stop within the exhibition gallery. If you don’t have time to see the exhibition, you can still visit the Exhibition Shoppe. Just pick up a pass in the main Museum Shop.
“We carry many items that were created especially for the gift shops at Mount Vernon Estates & Gardens,” says Lynn Brower, manager of the Exhibition Shoppe. “These include holiday ornaments, men’s silk ties featuring Washington’s signature, porcelain china, and gourmet foods.” There is a wide selection of merchandise for all ages.
The Exhibition Shoppe is arranged in six sections. A brief description of each follows.
- Books ─ From children’s board books to biographies, this section centers on George and Martha Washington, colonial America, and the Revolutionary War. The area also features a 24-inch likeness of a bust of Washington created by Jean Antoine Houdon in 1785. (The bust is available in several sizes.)
- Historical toys ─ Have fun exploring the selection of paper dolls, puzzles, spy glasses, Revolutionary War soldier figures, games and other items in this playful section.
- Kitchen and specialty foods ─ Perfect for holiday gifts, pick up Mount Vernon’s Extra-Large Gourmet Virginia Peanuts, Mount Vernon’s Chocolate-Covered Classic Shortbread and other mouthwatering treats. Get a copy of the Mount Vernon Cookbook or select kitchen items adorned with cherries.
- Patriotic and presidential souvenirs ─ Find softballs, mugs, plates and more imprinted with patriotic slogans and pictures of the presidents. Add a touch of patriotism to your golf game with golf balls in red, white and blue.
- Decorative items ─ This section features several reproductions of Martha Washington’s china, such as blue-and-white Canton china. Also featured are plates and serving pieces of the Mount Vernon Prosperity China Collection by Mottehedeh, which are porcelain reproductions of Staffordshire English salt glazeware that was popular in colonial America.
This section also includes a wide range of holiday ornaments, needlework kits, cameo jewelry, and a newly published book celebrating the 150th anniversary of the Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association’s opening the home of George Washington to the public.
- Exhibition mementos ─ Of course, there are items displaying Washington’s image on the $1 bill. (This likeness is based on Gilbert Stuart’s famous portrait of Washington featured in the exhibition.) Choose from giant memo pads, banks and more. A plethora of merchandise, such as mouse pads and key chains, carry the exhibition logo.
Be sure to check out the Exhibition Shoppe, which is operated by the Museum of History Associates. Associates members receive a 10 percent discount on most items. For more information about the Exhibition Shoppe, call 919-807-7835. For further information about the exhibition, visit www.ncmuseumofhistory.org or call 919-807-7900.
Discover the Real George Washington: New Views From Mount Vernon is funded by the Donald W. Reynolds Foundation and organized by the Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association.
The N.C. Museum of History’s hours are Monday through Saturday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., and Sunday, noon to 5 p.m. For more information, call 919-807-7900 or go to ncmuseumofhistory.org or Facebook®. Located at 5 E. Edenton St., the museum is part of the Division of State History Museums, Office of Archives and History, an agency of the N.C. Department of Cultural Resources, www.ncculture.com.