Art Contest: Funny Illustration for a Funny Book
Humor author offers artists a chance to be published in his upcoming book
Cris Cohen, the author of the humor blog Nothing In Particular and the upcoming book Staying Crazy To Keep From Going Insane, is going to get a great illustration for his book and give an artist a chance to have his or her work published at the same time.
Cohen announced his “Illustration Contest” today. The winning illustration will be included in the book, which is due out this coming September.
“My own ability to draw is really sad, even when compared to the work of hoofed animals,” Cohen said. “Since there are a lot of talented artists out there, I’m hoping that one of them will create something really cool.”
Staying Crazy To Keep From Going Insane is a collection of popular humor columns Cohen wrote for several newspapers in his native California as well as new ones he’s written since he moved to Cary with his family in 2008. He has posted the column to be illustrated, entitled “Charming,” on the book’s website at: http://stayingcrazy.com/2011/04/20/contest-illustration-for-upcoming-book/.
The contest details, as Cohen posted them, are:
- The deadline for entering is Wednesday, May 4.
- The winner will be announced on Wednesday, May 11.
- The drawing needs to illustrate the chosen column.
- It must be in black and white.
- Although there are no exact dimension restrictions, the illustration needs to share space on a page of a trade paperback-sized book with text and a heading.
- Entries must be submitted as a JPEG, GIF, or PNG to: email@example.com.
- Only one entry per person.
- Some or all of the entries will be posted on www.stayingcrazy.com.
- The winning entry will be featured in the upcoming book “Staying Crazy To Keep From Going Insane”, which will be released in September 2011.
- The artist will be given credit for the work in the book.
- The artist must grant Cohen the right to use this illustration in the book, on the website, and in any promotional materials forever.
- The artist will agree not to give this illustration to anyone else to use until one year after the date of the book’s release.
- The artist will own all other rights to the illustration. “If a collector offers a ton of money to buy the original print and put it in the Louvre, that’s all yours,” Cohen said.
Proceeds from sales of Staying Crazy To Keep From Going Insane will go to a local baseball league for kids with special needs. One of those kids is Cohen’s own son, Max.
Contest entrants may contact Cris Cohen with any question at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information on the book, which will be published by Tyrannosaurus Max Press in Cary, visit www.stayingcrazy.com.
About Cris Cohen:
Cris Cohen, the author of the Nothing In Particular blog, was born in Buffalo, NY, and grew up in a suburb of Los Angeles, eventually graduating from the University of Southern California. After a stint in rock radio in Los Angeles and Santa Barbara, Cris started writing his humor column for a collection of California newspapers. He eventually gravitated toward the tech world and Silicon Valley, working for companies such as Netscape and Cisco Systems. Cris, his wife Michele, and their young son Max moved to Cary, North Carolina, in 2008. Cris’ blog is available at http://criscohen.typepad.com. His first book, “Staying Crazy To Keep From Going Insane,” is due out in the fall of 2011.