RALEIGH, N.C. – North Carolina Theatre and Broadway Series South are proud to announce their 2016/17 season at Duke Energy Center for the Performing Arts. This season they are inviting patrons to “Be Our Guest” at the new and improved facility. After a $17 million renovation, they are thrilled for patrons to see the updates which include new seats and a restored interior in Memorial Auditorium, new bathrooms and a revitalized lobby with a new concession area.
The “timeless” 2016/17 Season begins in November with SPAMALOT, a Tony Award®-winning musical. The season will continue with new and old Broadway favorites, including famous rock opera, JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR, Time Magazines #1 Show of the Year, MATILDA THE MUSICAL, and “a tale as old as time” DISNEY’S BEAUTY AND THE BEAST. “Be Our Guest” for these shows and more throughout the 2016/17 Season.
2016/17 Broadway Season at a Glance
- MONTY PYTHON’S SPAMALOT (November 15-20, 2016 | NC Theatre Production) Lovingly ripped off from the classic film comedy Monty Python and the Holy Grail, SPAMALOT retells the legend of King Arthur and his Knights of the Round Table. Winner of three Tony Awards®, including Best Musical, Monty Python’s SPAMALOT elevates silliness to an art form. This highly irreverent parody will have you rolling in the aisles.
- ALWAYS…PATSY CLINE (January 20-29, 2017 | NC Theatre Production) Country has never had it so good! ALWAYS… PASTY CLINE is complete with down home country humor and real emotion. It’s the true story of an unlikely friendship between a housewife and a legendary country singer, featuring unforgettable hits including “Crazy”, “I Fall to Pieces” and “Walking After Midnight”.
- THE BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY (February 21 -26, 2017 | NC Theatre & Broadway Series South Presentation) THE BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY, one of the most romantic novels ever written, is now an irresistible, two-time Tony Award®-winning Broadway musical with a gorgeous, soulful score by Tony Award®-winning composer Jason Robert Brown (Parade, The Last Five Years).
- JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR (April 11-16, 2017 | NC Theatre Production) The greatest rock opera ever created, JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR has enthralled audiences since its historic Broadway opening in 1971. Propelled by Andrew Lloyd Webber’s stirring score, by turns driving and majestic, satirical and tender, JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR illuminates the transcendent power of human spirit with a passion that goes straight to the heart.
- MATILDA THE MUSICAL (May 16-21, 2017 | NC Theatre & Broadway Series South Presentation) Winner of 50 international awards, including The Tony Award®, and one of the biggest hits on Broadway, MATILDA THE MUSICAL is the story of an extraordinary girl who, armed with a vivid imagination and a sharp mind, dares to take a stand and change her own destiny. Based on of the novel by Roald Dahl, MATILDA continues to thrill audiences of all ages.
- DISNEY’S BEAUTY AND THE BEAST (July 25-30, 2017 | NC Theatre Production) A “tale as old as time,” Disney’s BEAUTY AND THE BEAST is filled with unforgettable characters, lavish sets and costumes, dazzling production numbers including “Be Our Guest” and the beloved title song. Families will delight in the wonder and enchantment of BEAUTY AND THE BEAST at North Carolina Theatre!
Jim Lavery, Duke Energy Center General Manager said, “We are excited and proud to show our patrons these new renovations. We believe it will enhance the experience for everyone who visits the theater.”
Lisa Grele Barrie, NC Theatre President & CEO said, “NC Theatre is excited to launch another great season in the newly renovated Duke Energy Center with our partners at Broadway Series South. The season we have put together has something for everyone. Please “be our guest” and revel in the entertainment and inspiration of musical theatre!”
Season Ticket Information
Season packages start as low as $154 for all six shows and are now available to purchase online and through the NC Theatre Box Office. For more information, please visit nctheatre.com or call the NC Theatre Box Office at 919-831-6941 x6944.