The 2016 NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament is approaching, and the personal finance website WalletHub today released its March Madness By The Numbers report, which examines the billion-dollar basketball, betting and business bonanza. The report includes an infographic full of fun facts about the financial side of the tournament as well as a panel discussion with a group of leading sports business experts.
Below you can find a handful of interesting stats from the report:
- $1.9 Billion – Hourly losses by companies due to unproductive workers during March Madness.
- $9 Billion – Estimated amount wagered on the 2015 NCAA tournament ($7 billion illegally).
- 81% – Of HR professionals say their organizations don’t have policies addressing office pools.
- 2X – Easier to win back-to-back Mega Millions lotteries than it is to fill out a perfect bracket.
- 17.5 Million – Barrels of American beer produced each March, compared to an average of 14M in all other months.