Dropkick Murphys @ The Red Hat Amphitheater September 24th
Talk about a high energy show! What a band list!
First up was Hatebreed an American metalcore band from Bridgeport, Connecticut. Members Jamey Jasta (lead vocals), Chris Beattie (bass), Matt Byrne (drums), Frank Novinec (rhythm guitar) and Wayne Lozinak (lead guitar).
Clutch is from Frederick, Maryland. Making it only 2 out of 3 bands are from New England. Members Neil Fallon (lead vocals), Tim Sult (lead guitar), Jean-Paul Gaster (drums), Dan Maines (bass).
The main artists was Dropkick Murphys. A hardcore street punk band out of Boston, Massachusetts (well actually Quincy, Mass) formed in 1996 and are dubbed as a Celtic Punk band. Dropkick Murphys named themselves after Dr. John “Dropkick” Murphy’s detox facility.
As with all their shows, people in Boston sports swag and men in kilts are throughout the audience. Myself included in my second kilt and GRONK!!! jersey (the Pat’s jersey & cap more horror to a special lady than the kilt 🤣).
Before Clutch, a lady with a group of fans up front and center of the pit barrier taps me on the shoulder. She tells me she likes the shirt, but they (pointing to her friends) are true Patriots fans. Telling me all six of them are from the Boston area and four of them flew down here for the show and to visit the two transplants to NC. Well I had to correct them and tell them I grew up in “Little Boston” (Holyoke, Mass) and am a true Patriots fan as well (she just gagged again 🤣).
Back to the review. The lights dim and you hear Lee Forshner playing “Cadence to Arm” on the bagpipes. The curtain drops and Lee is alone on stage in the spotlight wearing his kilt. Out comes the rest of the band opening up with the song “The Boys Are Back”. Al Barr and Ken Casey come running out and head right out to the edge of the pit to interact with the crowed.
Most of the show was high energy with guitarist James Lyanch bouncing around and Al all over the stage like a mad man. They had a little political speak, but did not drive the show with it. Just letting you know they are for America, the unions and the troops! The band played a lot of their faster songs from their 9 studio albums.
- Ken Casey – bass guitar, lead vocals (1996–present)
- Matt Kelly – drums, bodhran, backing vocals (1997–present)
- Al Barr – lead vocals (1998–present)
- James Lynch – guitar, backing vocals (2000–present)
- Tim Brennan – accordion, mandolin, bouzouki, keyboard, piano, tin whistle, backing vocals (2003–present), lead guitar (2008–present)
- Jeff DaRosa – banjo, mandolin, bouzouki, guitar, keyboard, piano, harmonica, tin whistle, backing vocals (2008–present)
Current touring members
- Lee Forshner – bagpipes (2014–present)
- Kevin Rheault – guitar (2017), bass guitar (2018–present)